Virtual Local Music Teachers Association of
Western North Carolina
New in 2022
YOU ARE INVITED! firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT, WHEN AND WHERE
The VLTMA of Western North Carolina meets online on the last Friday of each month at 11:00am Eastern Time.
VLMTA Meeting #4 Friday, April 29, 2022 11am EST
I. Minutes and Announcements:
- Cannon music camp
- General ideas for summer/upcoming year
- Potential scheduling for meetings in Summer 2022, Fall 2022, Spring 2023
II. Election business
- We will be electing officers for the 2022-2024 VLMTA term beginning July 1, 2022. As per our new bylaws, the Exec Board presents the following slate:
President, Victoria Fischer Faw
Secretary/Treasurer, Laura Chu Stokes
VP President-Elect, Leonidas Lagrimas
III. Program: A Seat at the Piano: Mindfully Changing the Canon, with guest presenter Dr. Annie Jeng
Please learn more about our presenter: https://vpa.uncg.edu/home/directory/bio-anniejeng/ as well as the organization,
A Seat at the Piano: https://www.aseatatthepiano.com/
MEETING #3 March 25 2022 11:00 am ET
- Discuss and approve bylaws, report survey results
- Discuss upcoming meeting schedule for Spring/Summer 2022
- Program: Ask-me-anything! with Kevin Chance
- This open forum discussion will be an open Q&A with Kevin Chance on any number of pertinent MTNA-related topics. Come prepared with questions and topics to help get the discussion going!
- Link to final draft of Bylaws. VLMTA members, please read and review before Friday’s meeting.
- Hope to see you then!
MEETING #2 February 25, 2022 11:00 am Eastern Time
Unable to attend the most recent meeting? Click the button below to view the video recording. Password required – please contact one of the VLMTA leadership team.
MEETING #1 January 28, 2022 11:00 am – Inaugural Meeting
The inaugural Virtual Local Music Teachers Association – VLMTA of Western North Carolina – held its holding its official organizational meeting and launch party Friday, January 28, 2022, 11am-noon on Zoom
- President – Vicky Fischer Faw, Alleghany County, email@example.com
- Secretary/Treasurer – Laura Chu Stokes, Watauga County, firstname.lastname@example.org
- President-Elect and Vice President – Leonidas Lagrimas, Jackson County, email@example.com
Who was invited
All interested NCMTA members in Western North Carolina. The organizational meeting targeted western NC teachers who are already members of NCMTA/MTNA. If you couldn’t make it but are interested in joining, or if you know of NCMTA members not yet on our radar, please let us know!
- Organization and Ceremonial signing of the charter
- Discuss goals and next steps in moving forward together to serve the specific musical needs of our region
- Presentation by Dr. Leonidas Lagrimas, NCTM, DMA, NCMTA Collegiate Chair, Assistant Professor Western Carolina University) “Real World Approaches to Sight-Reading”
What was accomplished
- 18 members signed the charter
- 4 VIP guests from NCMTA were in attendance
- Officers were elected
- Plans for the next meeting were announced: FRIDAY, FEB 25, 11:00 am (Save the date!)
- Before that meeting we will share two things:
Draft of our new bylaws for discussion and approval
A survey to learn more about each other, share ideas and lay the groundwork for future. That survey is on its way soon—I’m not sure it was clear that we didn’t have it ready to go today.
Other discussion and news
All were invited to a Zoom presentation held Friday 1/28/22 at 10:20, headed by Jenna Jaffe. “Dollars & Sense – Charging What Musicians are Worth.” Friends were also invited to join.
Reach out to music professionals who are not yet NCMTA/MTNA members. While it is a challenge for us to identify potential members across such a large area, you know who your neighbors are. MTNA and VLMTA are offering substantial financial incentives for first-time new members, so please invite them to contact us, and invite them to the next meeting.
Thank you for an amazing meeting today! We took the first substantial steps in establishing our new Virtual Local MTA chapter.
- Vicky Fischer Faw, NCTM, President VLMTA firstname.lastname@example.org
- Laura Chu Stokes, NCTM, Secretary/Treasurer VLMTA email@example.com
- Leonidas Lagrimas, NCTM, Vice President for Membership/Technology VLMTA firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope you’ll join us! Watch for more details, supporting documents, and the Zoom invitation closer to the meeting. We welcome inquiries or questions, so please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Looking forward to seeing you!
Victoria Fischer Faw, NCTM, DMA
Professor Emerita, Elon University
NCMTA Planning Senate Chair
NCMTA 2021 Teacher of the Year
MTNA Foundation Fellow 2022
MTNA 2022 National Teacher of the Year